DEMERIT POINTS - CONTESTING TICKETS - LAWYERS SPECIALIZING IN STATEMENTS OF OFFENCE – TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS
Qualified Lawyers in Quebec
Statement of offence
Release from seizure
Driving while impaired
Elizabeth Croteau, LL.B.
Did you know…
Test your knowledge
Test your knowledge
1.Following an impaired driving offence, the judge has forbidden you to drive any kind of motor vehicle for a certain amount of time. For a first time offence, this prohibition period is:
1 to 6 months;
6 months to 1 year;
1 to 3 years;
At least 3 years.
2. Can holders of a learner's permit who have committed an alcohol-related offence ask for a restricted licence, with a device preventing a vehicle from starting when it detects the presence of alcohol in the driver's breath (an alcohol ignition interlock device)?
Yes, after paying the fine or once the judgment has been rendered;
After 6 months;
After 1 year;
No. The offender must wait to recover his licence.
3. The criminal offence of impaired driving is committed when a person drives a road vehicle with an alcohol level in excess of:
70 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood (0.07);
80 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood (0.08);
90 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood (0.09);
110 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood (1.1).
4. When you are contesting a statement of offence (ticket), do you have the right to get a copy of the police report?
Always, it must be mailed to you;
Never, police officers are only required to testify orally;
Only if you request it before the trial;
Only if the fine exceeds $1,000.
5. Will the police officer that handed you the statement of offence be present at the trial?
Yes, police officers are required to testify;
No, the written report is sufficient;
Only if the fine exceeds $1,000;
Only if you request it before trial.
6. If you commit a hit and run, what is the maximum amount that can be fined according to the Criminal Code?
7. According to the Highway Safety Code, what should you do if you are involved in an accident with an animal, an unoccupied road vehicle or an inanimate object, and when the owner of said object or vehicle is not on the premises or nearby?
Act as if it is an accident between two drivers, go to the station;
Report the accident to the police station within 7 days;
Call to report the accident and leave;
Leave a note with your contact information if it is a vehicle, otherwise, simply call your insurance company.
8. When the owner of a road vehicle moves to Québec, he must register his vehicle with the SAAQ within:
9. When you are authorized, by an identification sticker and certificate of issue, to use disabled parking spaces, what should you do when their use is no longer required or when you, the holder, no longer meet the necessary requirements?
Destroy and throw away the sticker and the certificate;
Destroy the sticker and keep the certificate;
Photocopy both documents for archival purposes, but destroy the originals;
Return the original sticker and certificate to the SAAQ.
10. In order to get a vehicle registered, which condition, in particular, must a minor abide by?
Go to the SAAQ in person with 3 pieces of ID;
Go to the SAAQ accompanied by an adult with a valid licence;
Before going in person, fill out the form available on the SAAQ website;
Obtain the written consent of a parent or legal guardian.